Sunday, January 11

Durango + Robin's Egg = my new hat!

The binding for the bunting wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be, but I am still working on it. When I was still dreading starting the binding, I decided to make myself a hat.

Durango + Robin's Egg = my hat

Durango + Robin's Egg = my hat



I first saw this Robin's Egg Blue hat pattern. I thought I wish this was a crochet pattern. I just love that band. I know the basics of knitting but I really want to focus myself on expanding my crochet skills. So I just tucked that hat pattern away. Then I saw this pattern for the Durango hat. I felt it had almost the same sort of band to it as the Robin's Egg. And I like the ridges in the hat. So I set out to make the Durango hat. As I was getting close to starting the band of the hat. I realized I wasn't sure if the Durango pattern band was close enough to the Robin's Egg Blue hat band, that I liked so much. So after I finsihed Round 12 of the Durango hat I crocheted up this band below. It is perfect! I think it took me 3.5 hours total, which isn't too bad at all. I used less than 1 skein of CottonEase yarn in Terracotta, hook size H.

Work body of hat in the Durango pattern through Round 12. (I used an H hook and she suggested I; it still fit my head perfect).

Abbreviations: CH: Chain; HDC: half double crochet; SC: single crochet

Row 1: After joining Round 12, CH 8 (the last chain is our turning chain). Now we will work the hat in rows instead of in the round.

Row 2: SC in each of the 7 stitches across. SC into stitch in the hat body, the first open stitch (in other words, the first stitch next to the where the chain of 8 started from). CH 1.

Row 3: HDC in each stitch across. CH 1. (7 HDC)

Row 4: HDC in each stitch across. (7 HDC) Attach the row to the hat body by completing a SC2tog in the two adjacent stitches next to row 2's attachment. CH 1.

Row 5- 64: repeat row 3 and 4. This will take you around the hat to meet with Row 1. Attach the last rows to the hat body but not to row 1. (I think there were 64 rows, still not great at counting rows but just go until you reach the last stitch next to row 1.)

Row 65: HDC in each stitch across. CH 1. (7 HDC)

Row 66-75: repeat Row 65.

Row 76: HDC in 2 stitches. Chain 2. Skip 3 stitches. HDC in 2 stitches. CH 1 (4 HDC)

Row 77: HDC in 2 stitches. 3 HDC in Chain 2 space. HDC in 2 stitches. CH 1 (7 HDC)

Row 78: HDC in each stitch across. (7 HDC).

Bind off and weave in ends.

Line up the over hang of the band with the hat band and determine where the button should go based on where the buttonhole lies. Sew with yarn in place!

I freakin' love it. I wore it all day. Seriously. Cooked, played, sewed...on my head all day.

33 comments:

Rachel@oneprettything.com said...

This is GORGEOUS! I absolutely love it!

Unknown said...

As soon as I saw it, I was in LOVE!! I love it!! It is so cute! I would have worn it all day too.

Shorty said...

Your hat is beautiful! Once again, I love your work!

nicole said...

cute!! i'm so behind on crafting - i still don't get how you have the time to do all you do! oh and i love the loafers too - ADORABLE!

knittingdragonflies said...

This is so cute!!! Thanks for sharing. Great blog.
Vicki

mandy said...

Wow, I love this hat! It's so hard to find fresh crochet patterns sometimes. Thanks for sharing! I love the color, too!

littlebirdiesecrets.com

M Plamondon said...

This hat is absolutely perfect!! Thanks for sharing!!

Miki said...

What a super cute hat! Found your post through another blog and I just love this. Thanks for sharing it!

jenni said...

Thank you for all your kind comments! Let me know if you make this up.

Norma said...

Thanks so much for sharing because I don't know how to knit and love new crochet patterns. I'm totally making one. :)

Susan said...

Hi, I loved this hat when I saw it. I posted mine up here
http://fromthenarrows.blogspot.com/

Love the baby shoes too. I bought the pattern and can't wait to get started. I have a baby shower this weekend so I hope they turn out.

Susan said...

I posted the how to on the little check boxes. Thanks for the nice comment!

Unknown said...

Thank you very much for this (very forgiving :) pattern. Almost done, and even with not the most faithful following of the pattern, it still looks gorgeous.

Johanna Starnes said...

Wow, I love this hat! This is a must for my hat collection! I'm going to crochet this soon, maybe over Christmas while business is slow for me, I'll have a bit of time.

Thank you for sharing!

jenni said...

glad you all like it!

pippi said...

I love this hat and I've already made one for my self. I was wondering if you would mind if I made some to sell at my local craft fair.

jenni said...

Thanks Pippi! of course you are welcome to make and sell the finished hats! good luck!!

Gloria S said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
C. Beth said...

Just wanted to let you know I made this hat, and it's ADORABLE. It's for my sister-in-law, and now my sister has requested one, so I plan to start one for her today. and at some point...I need to make one for ME! Here's my short little blog post about it. I messed up the ribbing, but I know how to fix it next time. (I'm new at this!)

Anonymous said...

I Love this hat its so cute, and I ordered a super cute button for it, however I have tried to make it twice and its always to big in the band. Do you have any suggestions?

jenni said...

laughingat - you could try to not do an HDC row in every stitch of the hat round. you could skip one every 5th or 6th row. Or you could follow the pattern but use a smaller hook than you used for the hat. Let me know what you try out!

Jayna (JJCrochet) said...

I agree with you completely! I enjoy making knitted hats, but there's just something about working with a crochet hook that's comforting. Hope your crochet skills are approving. :) Thanks for the pattern!

Jayna
JJCrochet

H E L L O ! said...

Hello! This hat is super cute and I've been meaning to make it for a long time. So far it's been pretty easy, but I am a little confused with the Durango pattern.

for Rows 7-11, what does it mean when it says "Fpdc around next st"? Which stitch exactly would I FPDC into? Would it be the stitch in the previous row?

Unknown said...

Dear Jenni,

Love love love this hat. But I can't connect to the durango hat therefor I can't do the beginning of the hat. Is there another site because this site doesn't connect??
Really would love to make this hat.
Kim

jenni said...

Kim, Your email is not linked, I have the pattern so please email and I will send it to you. Thanks!

apriljeanie said...

I can't quite figure out how to do the FPDc so simple...mine keeps coming out looking twisted. Help? Please email me at aprilhammerand at gmail.com.

Thanks!!!!

Unknown said...

So cute! thanks for sharing!

Briggydog said...

Easy, quick and very lovely. Thank you. I've tried so many hats that look like sacks on your head but this looks really great.

Unknown said...

Love this hat. I also used a 5mm hook and it fit fine, maybe even a little loose on me. Thank you very much for posting.

basicliving@backtobasicliving.com said...

This hat is soooo adorable! I found it on ravelry and would really like to make it, but the link to the Durango hat pattern doesn't work for me at all - it errors that it can not load the page. Is there any chance you could email the Durango pattern to me for the first part of this hat? I would really appreciate it! Thank you!

Mary Hale said...

Love this hat pattern. Looking forward to making it.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brenda said...

Hi Jenni! Just wanted to say I love making this hat!! Pattern is super cute! However, I couldn't figure out why my band is always overlapped the wrong way until it dawned on me that DUH!! I'm a lefty! I've made this pattern in both 100% cotton and 100% acrylic. They both turned out great also using size H hook. Thanks so much for sharing this pattern.