I have a couple more Christmas handmade gifts but I just had to show you what I finished. Lilly's Steggie!
I got to do some new techniques with this sweater and it was really challenging. A zipper into a knitting garment, new for me. I like what I did but it could be a lot better with a longer zipper and less stretch to the sweater. But it works great. I got the zipper from zipperstop.com, and I sure will again! they have tons of colors in all kinds of zippers. Joanns was seriously lacking in the plastic separating zipper department.
I have never done sleeves like this pattern called for before, it seemed very backwards and it was complicated keeping all the yarn untangled. But it was okay until I seamed up the sleeve. It looks terrible! not at all like the pattern picture showed. I think it may have been my poor skills though because looking at other sweaters made with this pattern didn't seem to look as poor as mine. I did like adding the scales after the fact to the hood. That to me looks crisp and well done. So if I ever made this sweater again, I would try and figure out how to make the sleeve look like the hood.
Despite my issues, Lilly LOVES her sweater. I have never seen her so gaga over something I have made her before. She was straight up yelling at me to get the zipper in place. (She couldn't understand that I needed to look up how to do that). This sweater is really thick which probably isn't a good thing with how sweaty she gets (takes after her dad for sure). She wore it to school today which made me bust my buttons because she got a lot of new sweatshirts for Christmas and I let her pick her own clothes in the morning.
rarrrr! (I love looking at the finished steggie projects in Ravelry, most of the kids are acting like dinosaurs and generally being awesome in their sweaters!)
Yarn: impeccable loops and solids in aqua and vanna's choice in eggplant and burnt orange (i think)