Wednesday, July 29

apricot jam

We are in the midst of apricot season here. We got a half peck two weeks ago and I had every intention of making jam with them but instead we ate them all...we just couldn't help ourselves. So this weekend we got another half peck and I made sure to get the jam started right away. I made two types of apricot jam last year. One with lemon jello and one with a pectin box. While both were good, the jam made with pectin was incredibly sweet. But the lemon jello one had this wonderful tang to it. I got the recipe from my neighbor who got it from her church. Seriously try it...

Apricot Jam

8 cups blended up apricots
5 cups sugar
6 oz lemon jello

Clean apricots but leave skin on. Cut apricots in halve, remove pits. Blend apricots in blender until you reach your desired consistency, chunky or smooth. Place all ingredients in large pot, stir and heat to a boil. Once jam reaches a boil that cannot be stirred down, boil for 26 minutes. Stir constantly or the bottom will burn! (I did that last year). Skim off any foam that develops. Place jam in hot canning jars and seal in water bath or steamer for 20 minutes. (I am no expert canner so please read up on canning before you begin this part). I got 4 pints with a bit left for a couple sandwiches and enjoyment right after the kitchen was clean.

apricot jam

I have only canned a few times, all starting last summer. I seriously love the popping sound as the jar seals, I get all giddy that I must have done something right!

5 comments:

Vixanne said...

I love making jam and this recipe sounds yummy, so I'll definately be giving it a go. One thing I'm not so good at is knowing how long they'll keep. How long will this one keep? Thanks!

jenni said...

my neighbor said that it will last 3 or 4 months because this jam doesn't have the pectin in it. However, I wonder about that because a lot of jam recipes don't have any sort of pectin in it just sugar and fruit. So I would think this jam would last more than 3 or 4 months. Last year I think we used the last one around 5 or 6 months. Plus when you can fruit you just use a sugar syrup and they last all year. just my two cents...

Stephanie said...

mmm jam. I have so far made, strawberry, strawberry rhubarb, and straw/rhub/saskatoonberry. Craziness is?? Never had apricot jam. I don't think we grow apricots here.. maybe? Nevertheless I am gonna test it out because one can never have enough jam - seriously. I too think it would last longer than 3-4 months. Never tried a jam w/o pectin but something with a bit of tang sounds heavenly!! Thanks for the recipe!

Deanne said...

Sounds delish!

Unknown said...

I made it last year as well, and we still have some, and they are still good. I should make some more but we don't go through it that fast. So maybe next year.