Monday, March 16

cable purse update and cooking

cable purse 3.14.09
(Saturday's progess)

The cable purse is coming along nicely. The pattern is really comfortable and somehow my fingers remember when to switch from knitting to purling while my mind is floating elsewhere. I thought cables would be a lot harder but nope it is just fun. I think my purse will be a lot bigger than the pattern. The pattern called for size 8 circular needles but I wanted size 10 circulars for another project and was trying to conserve funds. I thought having a bigger purse wouldn't be a bad problem to have. I am interested to see how it will end up, hopefully not too big for an everyday purse. I do walk to work and carry papers, a notebook, and my lunch. When I am going somewhere with my girl, diapers and snacks go in the purse so a larger purse might just be perfect.

I was in a cooking funk the past couple of weeks. Thankfully, dinner with some friends last weekend totally inspired me to get back in the kitchen and cook new things. I revamped our menu for the month and this past weekend we tried making indian food. I made dal (recipe from Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker) and naan. The dal was sort of a bust. I am not sure if it was the recipe or I didn't add any cayenne so Lilly could eat it but it was kinda blah. BUT the naan was awesome (cooked in a pan instead of a grill). Once chicken goes on sale again we are going to try this recipe for chicken jalfrezi. and make the naan of course.
naan

I really like the cookbook I mentioned above. Reviews on Amazon gave the cookbook 4.5 stars so it must be a good one. The dal recipe was the first one that we tried and didn't like. Spicy black bean chili is on the menu tomorrow so I will let you know how that goes. My poor husband has been dealing with the same meals over and over in my cooking rut, he is pumped to have some different meals. I decided to reward him with a good old meat and potatoes meal of roast beef with potatoes and carrots in the crockpot from The Toby Show this weekend. This was so good. I really enjoyed the potatoes and carrots, they will still crunchy not all smushy. PS. if you don't already read The Toby Show you should. She has the best activities for kids, quite the array of recipes, and she is FUNNY.

2 comments:

nicole said...

im gonna love that purse... i can just tell!!

i hope to start one soon as i get some yarn moolah...i may have to have you translate the pattern though.

oh and i'm ALWAYS in a cooking rut. you plan meals for a whole month? that is impressive!!

Allison said...

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. And what a springy color! I'll have to take a crack at that recipe! My hubby is also a meat and potatoes man!