Sunday, August 23

sock monkey and a firefighter hat pattern

craft hope sock monkey

Sock monkeys for Craft Hope's project 4! All the sock monkeys are going to kids at a burn camp so they mentioned that incorporating some firefighting gear on the sock monkey would be awesome. So I made a firefighter hat (so why I love crochet, you can make almost anything out of that one little hook!)

I used this sock monkey tutorial (I needed some more pictures than the standard instructions.)


I tried a few patterns for firefighter hats but I just couldn't figure them out or didn't feel like sizing them for the monkey's head. Here is what I came up with:

craft hope sock monkey

Firefighter hat for sock monkey

F hook
Caron simply soft yarn

HAT BODY:

Row 1: Make magic loop, chain (CH) 3, 11 double crochet (DC) around loop. Pull loop tight. Slip stitch into top of chain 3. Ch 3.

Row 2: In same stitch as Ch3, 1 DC. In each stitch, 2 DC, around. Slip stitch into top of chain 3. Ch 3.

Row 3: In same stitch as Ch3, 1 DC. 1 DC in next stitch, 2 DC in next stitch, around. Slip stitch into top of chain 3. Ch 3.

Row 4: In same stitch as Ch3, 1 DC. 1 DC in each of first 2 stitches, 2 DC in next, around. Slip stitch into top of chain 3. Ch 3. (start checking the size of the hat with the monkey's head now, you might find you don't need to do all the increases in row 5, I didn't, just some spaced around. Also you might not need all the length in rows 6-8 or more depending on where you put the ears.)

Row 5: In same stitch as Ch3, 1 DC. 1 DC in each of first 4 stitches, 2 DC in next, around. Slip stitch into top of chain 3. Ch 3. (I ended up with 37 stitches)

Row 6-8: In same stitch as Ch3, 1 DC. 1 DC in each stitch around. Slip stitch into top of chain 3. Ch 1.

FRONT HAT BRIM:

1 half double crochet (HDC) in front loop of next 26 stitches. Chain 1 and turn.

1 HDC in each stitch across to the beginning for front brim. SC down to next available non front brim stitch.

BACK HAT BRIM:

HDC in back loop (this will be on the same side as the front loop stitches on the front brim) of remaining stitches across (I had 12).

Next 3 rows, decrease one stitch at beginning of each row, HDC across rows to last two stitches, decrease another stitch. (the brim had 6 stitches at the end)

?does this make any sense? Please let me know if you find any mistakes, I will fix it right away!


NUMBER PLATE:

I used these instructions for the number plate.

I attached the number plate to the hat while back stitching the number on the plate with black yarn. Basically, I embroidered the number right through the number plate and the hat.

Finger press the middle of the hat to make the helmet indent.

craft hope sock monkey
cute little guy! (I think Santa is going to bring my girl one)

13 comments:

dana said...

Jenni, THAT HAT IS RIDICULOUSLY CUTE. Seriously. I'm sure that's exactly what Craft Hope had in mind. You should mass produce them for all the sock monkeys!
Very cute. If only I knitted...
one day...

nicole said...

loooove him! i really wanted to make one for this craft hope, but with 4 birthdays and three weddings there is no way to add another craft project!

Adrienne said...

He's sooo cute! Thank you so much for sharing the hat ~ I am making 3 monkey's ... looks like I am making 3 hats now too!

Unknown said...

That is the cutest thing ever! I have been slacking on checking out your craft blog, and you have been busy! Everthing looks SO cute and SO delicious. Your sock monkey looks so good! Was it very hard to make? Miss Sofia wore her little sweater yesterday to church. It looked so adorable! I was going to take pictures, but then never got around to it, but thank you so much for making her look so cute! :)

Grace and Aria said...

Jenni,
Thanks for the heads up about your ff helmets!! Oh. my. heck. -- it's sooo cute! I'm going to try one today. Can I use a picture or two to post on the Craft Hope site and link your blog for this tutorial?? I'm so excited. I knew one of you incredibly talented women would figure it out!! ~marjorie

Rima said...

Ooooh. That is cute! I am loving the hat.

Casey said...

that is seriously too cute!

Natalie said...

OMG! Great job on the helmet!

I am slightly crochet remedial but I am going to give it a try for my sock monkey. Thanks for writing out the pattern.

Yarni Gras! said...

very clever! I gave my monkey 'hair' but maybe I can give him a crew cut so the hat will fit! HA!
Thanks for sharing!

Unknown said...

Very cool! Now I don't have to work out the pattern!

It's hard to find crochet sock monkey clothing/hats so I usually make my own through trial and error but never get a pattern!

One thing - these could easily have small little pieces of elastic on them so they stay snuggly on the monkey's head!

jenni said...

please let me know if you find a mistake or a better way to the do the helmet!

Marcy, the elastic is a great idea!

Grace Tierney said...

Hi Jenni,
I've missed the deadline for Craft Hope's project but will definitely do the next. In the meantime, is it ok for me to use this pattern for Innocent Smoothies Big Knit (and crochet)? http://www.innocentdrinks.co.uk/thebigknit/ They get crafters to create hats for their bottles to raise cash for charities like Help the Aged. I do it every year. I managed 13 hats last year ;-)

thanks, Grace
www.gracetierney.com

~yolanda said...

Some little kids heart is going to be overflowing with gratitude. Very cute!!!